The Health Care team engages in rigorous study to better understand issues related to Health Care. Based on these studies and positions taken at a national, state, and local level, the team actively educates the public and advocates for sound solutions. Read the latest update from the Health Care Team HERE or read on for additional resources.
Text that is red is linked to the content itself. Simply click on the red text you’d like to read more about to be taken to that full site or resource.
Video and DVDs on Health Care
- Health, Money and Fear: A film documentary produced by Dr. Paul Hochfeld, an Emergency Room physician in Corvallis, Oregon. It may be viewed on the website or ordered as DVD. An excellent resource discussing the drivers of cost in the current, chaotic health care system and how a single payer system would address cost containment. 48” in length
- Sick Around the World: Journalist T.R. Reid travels to five industrialized countries and examines their health care systems, noting both challenges and successes. The documentary can be viewed online, purchased from PBS, or found in many public libraries. 55” in length The Healing of America is Reid’s book based on the documentary.
- The Healthcare Movie:Produced by a Canadian/American couple the film reveals the story of how the health care systems in Canada and the United States evolved to be so completely different, when at one point they were essentially the same. The intense political struggle that led to the universal medical care system in Canada and the public relations campaigns in the U.S. that continue to dissuade the public from supporting national health care are outlined. Order from the website. 65″ in length.
Mental and Behavioral Heath
The LWV of Colorado’s Task Force on Behavioral Health completed their study in May 2014. Their final report gives an overview of the components of Colorado’s public behavioral health system – structure, services, financing and policy-including those within the prison system. Promising practices and the League recommendations are included. Following the study a consensus was taken in the fall 2015 which led to the adoption of a new position on behavioral health. In June 2016 the LWVUS adopted this position by concurrence at the National Convention.
- Community Resources for Mental and Behavioral Health in Larimer County – Summitstone Health Partners.
The Affordable Care Act
- Major Provisions of the Affordable Care Act (year by year roll out of provisions)
- A Guide to the Supreme Court’s Review of the 2010 Health Care Reform Law
- Costs Related to the Affordable Care Act
- Toolkit for the Affordable Care Act Resources for local league programs
Organizations with Resources on Health Care Reform
- Commonwealth Fund:Private foundation that aims to promote a high-performing healthcare system by supporting independent research on healthcare issues and making grants to improve healthcare practice and policy.
- Families USA: A nonprofit advocacy and educational organization dedicated to affordable, quality health care for all. State health beat resources outline what is happening in the states. Electronic newsletters available.
- Kaiser Family Foundation: A nonprofit, private foundation (NOT affiliated with Kaiser Permanente), focusing on major healthcare issues in the US. It develops and runs its own research and communications programs, and serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the healthcare community, and the public. Excellent source of statistics, including statistics for each state. Conference calls and podcasts.
- Healthcare-NOW!: A nonprofit, education and advocacy organization that addresses the health care crisis in the US by supporting grassroots efforts advocating for the passage of national, single-payer, health care legislation.
- National Women’s Law Center: A nonpartisan, nonprofit organization researching, educating and advocating on issues for girls and women. The “Reform Matters” project focuses on progressive health care reform.
- Physicians for a National Health Program: A nonprofit research and education organization of 18,000 physicians, medical students, and health professionals and local chapters who support single payer national health insurance. The website has many resources for learning about single payer NHI and HR 676, including “Frequently Asked Questions,” and “Quote of the Day” by Don McCanne (can subscribe to daily comments about current events)