Election Reform- Making Democracy Work Team
In 2016, the LWVUS adopted an issues based campaign called Making Democracy Work. This comprehensive program would engage Leagues nationwide in advancing core democracy issues:
- Voter protection and mobilization
- Election reform
- Money in politics, criteria for calling a constitutional convention and redistricting
In 2017, the LWVCO adopted specific issue goals to align with and to further the LWVUS adopted program. Click here to read more about LWVCO Issue Goals.
In 2018, in order to further the goals set by both the LWVUS and the LWVCO, LWVLC established a new issues based team called Election Reform – Making Democracy Work. In a comprehensive approach, the League’s advocacy work will be greatly enhanced when all three core issues work together toward the one common goal of making democracy work for all. The team meets every 4th Tuesday of the month, 1st Bank, 2644 S. Timberline Rd., Ft. Collins, 4:00pm. Come visit a team with great members who have lots of experience and knowledge advocating for democracy!
- Advocate for Colorado to pass legislation to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPV): an agreement among a group of US states and the District of Columbia to award all of their respective 270 electoral votes to whichever presidential candidate wins the overall popular vote.
- Advocate for alternative voting methods to plurality voting, specifically RCV that ensures the winner has majority support.
- Advocate for Proportional Representation that ensures parties gain seats in proportion to the number of votes cast for them.
Money in Politics:
- Advocate for Campaign Finance Reform that supports the public’s right to open and honest elections by providing full and timely disclosure of campaign contributions and expenditures; to curb special-interest soft and dark money; to support public funding of congressional elections for maximum citizen participation.
- Advocate for Redistricting Standards that promote fair and effective representation.
- Educate the public on the criteria to call a Constitutional Convention.
Support policy for Stronger Ethics in Government:
- Support the Anti-Corruption Act: legislation designed to limit the influence of money in American politics by overhauling lobbying, transparency, and campaign finance laws.
- Support the Fair Representation Act: a proposed federal statute to elect House Members by ranked choice voting in primary and general elections.